We've been to Maui 6 times since 2013. We usually go in September, but we knew we wanted to go during whale watching season as well. I had never been whale watching before and was dying to get up close to a whale! We'd been told every time we go to Maui that during whale season we could sit on the lanai of our condo and watch them front right there. We worked hard in 2017 to figure out a way to make it happen and managed to go in March 2018. We saw whales galore. It was everything I dreamed it would be!
Maui now feels like a second home to us. We know we want to travel to other places, but every trip there is better than the last one. It's hard not to go back. I think we have done everything you can on the island, except take a helicopter tour.
These are the things I think are must do's when visiting Maui that give you a good all around feel of the island -
- Rent mopeds for the day and ride them out to the Nakalele Blowhole. We LOVE 808 Mopeds. You will want to buy a moped within 30 minutes of riding one in Maui.
- Drive up to the top of Haleakala to watch sunset, NOT sunrise! Keep an eye on the weather forecast for a clear night at the top of the crater. Bring warm clothing and something soft to sit on. Get there early so you get a good parking spot.
- Go out on a boat for a snorkel trip and do SNUBA.
- Find a peaceful, small, beach front condo complex on the upper west side and enjoy spectacular sunsets, quiet days on the sandy beach, and ultimate relaxation if that is your jam. In other words - avoid the resorts, especially if you don't have children. We found ours on VRBO.
- Road to Hana - leave EARLY in the morning. Bring a change of clothes for the trip. In fact, we take an extra set of clothes with us on all day trips around the island. Maui has 17 micro-climates.
- Visit Iao Valley State Park.
- Eat cheap - spend your money on other stuff. Our favorite place is a taco trailer in Lahaina. We also eat a lot at the ABC stores now that most of them have added made to order food. ABC Stores are your friend while on Maui! We only ate a real restaurant one time on this last trip.
- Go vodka tasting at Ocean Vodka.
- Drive out to the Ulupalakua Ranch Store & Grill and have a great hamburger then go wine tasting. You could do this the same day you do #2 and #8.
- Go whale watching if you go during whale season.
For some scenery from our March 2018 trip, visit me on instagram at @samanthacycles. I have photos from our trip in a story archive. You'll have to send a follow request because I have to keep my account private - but if you look legit and I don't work with you, you'll be added. :-)