I was an early adopter of the original Fitbit and then most recently the Fitbit Charge HR. Things I loved most about the Fitbit: 1) gentle vibrating alarms to wake up to in the morning and 2) step tracking. I always looked at my sleep data too, but usually those numbers just told me I never got my desired 8+ hours of sleep on weeknights, so I stopped looking. Too depressing. Back in January I noticed Target had a deep discount on the Apple Watch. While I had originally made fun of the Apple watch, with my new job, I really started to see its appeal. So I bought it.
Within about 2 days I was in love.
Why I Love My Apple Watch More than Fitbit:
- NO SYNCING to some app!
- Easy alarm setting – right from the face of the watch.
- Once I learned how to properly use do not disturb – it has the vibrating alarms just like the Fitbit.
- My fitbit would often need to be “reset.” No more of that.
- Telling Siri to text my husband I’m on my way home from work – all done directly with the watch. Because usually I forget to do this until I’m already on the road.
- Calendar view. Text message view and quick response. Call from the watch.
- Did I mention NO SYNCING to an app!
- Remote camera button – use your watch to snap a photo with your iPhone. You’d be surprised how useful this is in certain situations *cough cough* group selfie *cough*.
I’ve used the Apple watch a few times on an outdoor run, indoor treadmill run, and a bike ride. The app for this is very easy to use. I haven’t downloaded any other fitness tracking apps as the one that comes with it meets my needs.
Now I know the watch has gotten a bad rap about battery life. But the daily charging hasn’t bothered me. Since I use the watch to wake me up on work days, I put it on the charger about an hour before I go to sleep. It only takes an hour for it to charge enough to get me through the next 24 hours. Or if I forget, I put it on the charger while I’m getting ready in the morning. Pretty simple.
But overall I love that it just simply works. And I love that I don’t have to sync it with anything. I love being able to easily set a timer from the watch face. I love the ability to be doing stuff around the house or the office at work and not miss a message from someone because I don’t have my phone on me. I love being able to quickly check things when I’m in a meeting without having to look at my phone.
Bottom line – the thing just works and so far has been much less fussy and finicky than either Fitbit I’ve had.